He's a Monday Kind of God

by Rebecca Kiser

I didn’t grow up in church.

I went to a Christian school through seventh grade, but the number of total Sundays my family spent in church through those years is most definitely less than the number of weekends we spent at the beach in just one summer. Honestly, I wouldn’t say that’s completely a bad thing.

I think as Christians we can sometimes fall into the trap of restricting God to just a Sunday morning ordeal. We plan the day around going to church. We get up, we put on nice clothes, we yell at kids not to get messy, we grab our bibles. For an hour and a half, once a week, all is well. We meet God in a church pew and carefully flip through our Bibles so as not to damage their holiness. We put on a Sunday morning mentality and we leave the messy chaos at home.

But you guys, that’s not real life.

The church that I go to has a service on Monday nights for people who work on the weekends, which is why I started going on Mondays. And it’s awesome.

It’s such a pop culture thing that Sunday is the easy, carefree day and Monday is the villain that steals everyone’s weekend high. Which is exactly why we need church on Mondays. The atmosphere isn't that Sunday-best sort of thing. It’s that it’s Monday and I didn’t want to go to work today and the week just started kind of thing. It’s intimate. It’s honest. It’s real. It’s when we need God the most.

Yall, God doesn’t want us to get dressed up and bring him the best version of ourselves. He wants our attention when we’re cussing at our alarm clocks on Monday morning. He wants us to fall into him when we’re so exhausted we can’t stand. He wants us to cry out to him when we’re trying to catch our breath between tears. He wants us to collapse into His peace and comfort when we have to say, “God I messed up, and I need you.”

He’s here for real life. 

I personally love to chill on my bedroom floor when I connect with God. There’s something so casual and raw about sitting on the floor. It reminds me of when I was younger and would come in from playing outside all day, completely covered in dirt or pool water and my mom wouldn’t let us sit on the sofa. We would sit on the floor wrapped in towels, with wet hair dripping chlorine down our backs or dirty feet leaving footprints on the hardwood floors. It was real and it was messy (ask my mom, she’ll assure you).

That’s how God wants us. He wants to be all up in those moments when we aren’t put together and are too dirty to sit on the furniture. That’s where your relationship with Him grows. When you’re open and vulnerable and letting Him into your day-to-day life.

Don’t get me wrong here, I know Sunday is the day of rest and that’s all so important, but it’s not the only time we should be seeking out God. This isn’t to say that you need to find a church that has service on Mondays, or that all church should be on Mondays. No, this is to give us some perspective as to how different it could be if we came to church as our honest selves instead of trying to get cleaned up for God.

And how incredible life becomes when you seek out God on days you aren't in church.

Press into God when you need him, in the middle of reality. He’s a with you on the floor kind of God. He’s a Monday kind of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Your Best Friends Need to be Jesus Girls

Testimony of Broken Pottery

So This is Love... Or is it?